iTunes has become the go-to place for Podcasts, and is the primary source for most people’s subscriptions. However, syncing them with your iOS devices has been, if nothing else, trivial and a little wonky. This would leave people with podcast fatigue. In other words, people would stop listening to a show because it was way too much of a hassle to have to download them on your computer, then wait 20 to 30 minutes (if not longer) for them all to sync to your iPhone, iPod, or iPad.
I’m assuming Apple has finally heard our war cry on this matter because on June 26th, 2012 — Apple finally released a Podcast App for most of their iOS devices. It wouldn’t be Apple if they didn’t leave some of their older devices in the dust.
Here is what Apple has to say about the App:
Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to, and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the Podcasts Catalog, and play the most popular podcasts, organized for you by topic, with the all-new Top Stations feature.
• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by audio or video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
• Tap Subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages, and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
• Requires a device with iOS 5.1 or later
• Optionally syncing episodes requires iTunes 10.6.3 or later
• Streaming or downloading episodes requires Internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection
Without any warning, Apple released this App, and some cover art may be a little distorted until every Podcast producer gets around to changing their cover art to the required 1400 x 1400 resolution Apple now requires in their Podcast Creator instructions.
Easter Egg: Click the album art while listening to a Podcast to see a nostalgic (and sadly retro) tape deck player!